Ubuntu: Ubuntu 16.04 Server updates - Temporary failure resolving 'ro.archive.ubuntu.com'



Question:

Fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 Server tty1

26 packages can be updated  12 updates are security updates.  

When I try to use sudo apt-get update, this shows up:

Err:1 http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease           temporary failure resolving 'ro.archive.ubuntu.com'  Err:2 http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease           temporary failure resolving 'ro.archive.ubuntu.com'  Err:3 ... xenial-updates InRelease           temporary failure resolving 'ro.archive.ubuntu.com'  Err:4... xenial-backports InRelease           temporary failure resolving 'ro.archive.ubuntu.com'  Failed to fetch http://ro.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease   temporary failure resolving 'ro.archive.ubuntu.com'  failed to fetch ....  ...  some index failed to download. They gave been ignored,or old ones used instead.  

I ran nslookup google.com:

connection timed out; no servers could be reached  

Now, I tried all I could find on the internet about this issue, like adding Google DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf, then dpkg-reconfigure etc. Nothing worked.

If you need any additional info in helping me resolve this problem I am happy to provide. I'm new to Ubuntu so I don't really know much. Any additional help is welcome.

Thank you in advance!


Solution:1

In my case it worked to set the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base > /dev/null  

then

sudo service resolvconf restart  

After this procedure I was able to resolve hostnames and

sudo apt-get update  

is doing the job well!


Solution:2

I had a similar experience, wherein a complete shutdown (even removing the power cord and waiting long enough for firmware to clear, etc. Then restarting solved the same issue for me.

My only theory as to why, is that it could be some sort of caching issue on the NIC itself.

Since the NIC on this motherboard (Z87) is integrated, stuff like the ARP cache, preferred DNS servers list, etc. are likely cached in PRAM. (again, I am just speculating here.)

Since I had made a change to the DNS servers list (and I believe that's what ultimately resolved this issue) I think it took the hard start to get the new list into the cache. At any rate, the hard start solved it, whereas soft resets did not.


Note:If u also have question or solution just comment us below or mail us on toontricks1994@gmail.com
Previous
Next Post »