Ubuntu: Ubuntu 14.04 WiFi problems


I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed on an HP Touchsmart laptop and I'm having issues connecting to the Internet at home.

My PC has a Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter, and it dual-boots Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. When I'm using Ubuntu and I'm connected to my home network, I can't access the Internet. Even the gateway address is unresponsive to pings.

The funny thing is, my computer connects to the Internet just fine when I'm on Windows or I'm connected to my school's wi-fi or that of one of my friends.

My router is an Arris TG852 (I think that's the right model number) router/modem combo, but I also have a Linksys wrt100 tethered to it as a repeater in order to service mobile devices on the network (for some reason they can't connect to the Arris router).

Is there a way to fix this issue with software or by fiddling with network settings in Ubuntu and on the router, or is the only solution to completely replace the Arris/Linksys improvised setup with a quality router?

Here is the output of the ifconfig command:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr c4:34:6b:43:f4:3f            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1          RX packets:50075 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:4412 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000           RX bytes:8949360 (8.9 MB)  TX bytes:661356 (661.3 KB)    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback            inet addr:  Mask:          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1          RX packets:7198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:7198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0           RX bytes:1566049 (1.5 MB)  TX bytes:1566049 (1.5 MB)    wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 9c:d2:1e:7a:15:da      inet addr:  Bcast:          Mask:          inet6 addr: fe80::9ed2:1eff:fe7a:15da/64 Scope:Link          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1          RX packets:29605 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:23378 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000           RX bytes:21292553 (21.2 MB)  TX bytes:3560977 (3.5 MB)  

** Update ** I installed the Realtek 8188CE driver, which resolved some connectivity issues. I also unplugged the secondary router from the primary one, eliminating any possible issues between the two of them and my laptop. My laptop worked perfectly fine for a couple hours, but then suddenly lost connectivity. I tried restarting my wireless adapter several times, and even restarting my laptop, but I still can't ping Google. I can't even ping the router itself. Help!


This worked for me, I have the same wifi adapter. Copy/Paste the following in a terminal and reboot. You have to re-"make" after every kernel update, to ensure best performance.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-generic linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms git    git clone https://github.com/FreedomBen/rtl8188ce-linux-driver    cd rtl8188ce-linux-driver    make    sudo make install    sudo cp -r firmware/* /lib/firmware    echo "options rtl8188ee ips=0 fwlps=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8188ee.conf  

Note:If u also have question or solution just comment us below or mail us on toontricks1994@gmail.com
Next Post »