Ubuntu: How can I work around “something wicked happened resolving” mirror errors?



Question:

I see the following being queried all over. But don't see any answers or did I miss them ? Seems to be a strange use of language. Something wicked happened. Is this a form of malware ? How do I get the Update Manager to move on ?

W: Failed to fetch http://za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc-bin_2.11.1-0ubuntu7.10_i386.deb    Something wicked happened resolving 'za.archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)  


Solution:1

It seems its a DNS resolve problem..

To solve this edit your /etc/resolv.conf (sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf) and add the google public DNS addresses like this:.

nameserver 8.8.8.8  nameserver 8.8.4.4  

Do the ping test again on a known server and if that passes do a apt-get update..

Hope this helps, if not say so, gl. ;)


Solution:2

I have had the same issue myself, usually it occurs when there is a lot of high usage on my home network and update manager has a hard time contacting the server.

Try again after a few minutes and I think you will find it will be resolved.


Solution:3

I know this may not address your problem, but I had this problem and it was because I had added a domain only accessible through VPN to my /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01proxy file. I commented out the line and it worked.

I wanted to share just to show where other errors might originate from.


Solution:4

I had this problem for about 2 days. Finally, I switched my ADSL router off and back on. That fixed it for me.


Solution:5

the failsafe solution is to change your software sources in ubuntu (either ubuntu software center OR synaptics, depending on how recent your ubuntu is).

you seem to using the ZA (south africa) servers. change to MAIN SERVER.

in 12.04 and 12.10:

UbuntuSOftwareCenter > EDIT > SOFTWARE SOURCES

change from SERVER FOR SOUTH AFRICA to MAIN SERVER

this is very common in local ubuntu repositories, like south africa and brazil.


Solution:6

The only thing that worked for me was setting the proxy setting in Apt config. Adding it to bashrc did not work.

See : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto#APT_configuration_file_method


Solution:7

I followed your instructions and read the possibilities of this page. None of them solved my problem - so I searched again...

While I had the problem that the hostnames aren't reachable I saw, that something like a IPv6 address is in brackets.

Remembering problems between ipv4 and ipv6 i switched off ipv6 on my routers web interface - and now: the address is reachable after a few seconds.

Don't know how to disable ipv6 in ubuntu or if your router can disable this feature, too - but in my case it was the solution. Not to forget: just replug the cable before trying again, because of the ipv6 lease you already got!


Note:If u also have question or solution just comment us below or mail us on toontricks1994@gmail.com
Previous
Next Post »