Ubuntu: Eclipse will at seemingly random times cause random characters to be inserted or deleted when editing a file



Question:

I will be programming my merry heart out when suddenly nothing I type makes sense, it starts adding in incorrect characters and deleting random chunks of code whenever I press a key. Undo actually makes the problem worse.

This can all be fixed by force quiting eclipse (once this starts happening it's impossible to quit normally) and restarting it. I thought it might have something to do with my installation, but I've now had it happen across multiple different Ubuntu versions on different computers (also in a CrunchBang installation).

I have no idea what is going on here, and have not been able to find any references to people having the same problem. It seems to happen more often when editing files with both PHP and HTML in them, specifically when editing the HTML parts.

What is causing this and how can I fix it short of switching to another IDE (which believe me, I am VERY close to doing even though I would have to re-setup all my projects).

Edit: After more thorough searching through the Eclipse bug reports I found a bug report with the same problem. It has been confirmed on Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Seven, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux.


Solution:1

I've seen this happen specifically when eclipse has trouble determining multiple functions of the same name. My solution is to break those functions in to separate files.


Solution:2

After thorough searching through the Eclipse bug reports I found a bug report with the same problem. It has been confirmed on Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Seven, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux.

Apparently this has been a problem for quite a while and seems to be a bug in PDT.


Note:If u also have question or solution just comment us below or mail us on toontricks1994@gmail.com
Previous
Next Post »